Friday, May 23, 2008

Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!


Last night Rusty and I stepped out on our back patio. As soon as I crossed the threshold of the door I could smell it. Rain! You know, that dusty smell that happens right after the rain begins. As we continued to make our way out we could see that the rocks in the yard were damp. How exciting! We just sat under the cover of our upper balcony watching it sprinkle. It was a wonderful night.


I know you must be thinking how crazy this sounds, but it's true. You see, this is only the third time it has rained since we've been here, and the other two times it sprinkled for about 5 minutes total. The locals tell us that monsoon season will come soon and then it will rain almost every evening. They say it's amazing to see. I guess they don't realize the amount of rain I'm used to back home. I guess I'll have to see for myself.


I never thought I would miss the rain, nor did I realize how much I relied on it. Rain washes away the popsicle drips from the patio and the chalk drawings from the driveway. It cleans the dust and pollen from the air and cools things off. This is just another small difference that we've had to get used to. (Watch how your holding that popsicle, Will , and don't go too crazy with the sidewalk chalk, Mae. I know John Russel the dust is killing my eyes, too)


So, as Rusty and I sat watching our rocks glisten with the new fallen rain we also got to listen to the wonderful symphony the drops were performing on our balcony above us. It was mesmerizing. I'm so glad we had this moment to share. I'm also grateful for this opportunity to be so thankful for something so little that I've always taken for granted.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am sending some rain your way! Monsoon season is pretty amazing! When does your family arrive?

Love~james