Monday, August 11, 2008

Remembering

*Me in the First Grade*

I love that my two older children are at an age that I can remember being. If I let myself I can go back to being 5 or 6 years old and remember the excitement I felt at new things. They are enjoying school so much and can't wait to go in the mornings. I, too, remember this. You see, I loved school. I enjoyed playing and making new friends. I loved learning new things. I loved being good at something, and I was "good" at school. I can remember being in Kindergarten. I remember the red headed boy sitting across the table from me. I can remember the letter people that taught me to read. I can remember singing songs during circle time and the taste of mickey mouse ice cream bars after lunch. I remember first grade. I remember playing checkers or using those huge earphones during center time. I remember round robin reading. I remember coloring pictures. I remember my strawberry shortcake lunchbox and the smell of the cafeteria. I love thinking back on these things and telling John Russel and Mae about them as they tell me about their days in school. I also love how they love to hear stories about when I was their age. I guess they can't imagine me, their old mother, ever being where they are now. Isn't it funny how God uses us this way. I can remember loving to hear stories about what my parents did as children. I would ask my mother to tell me stories of when she was a girl. I would pretend that if she were my age at that very moment we would be friends and go on adventures together.
So, as my children ask me to tell them what I did as a girl, I will try to remember all that I can. Maybe they will pretend to be friends with the young Anne just as I did my mother. If not, we all will take pleasure in out kindergarten and first grade years together. I can only hope that they will enjoy it as much as I did so they can tell their children about it one day.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I remember most of those things too, particularly the Strawberry Shortcake lunch box.
The neat part of the memory trip is that the older you get the more vivid your old memories become. Hope they are good "old memories".
Love, Mimi